Menopause: How to Start Feeling Like Yourself Again. An article by skinnymom.com According to the Mayo Clinic, menopause is, “the permanent end of menstruation and fertility, defined as occurring 12 months after your last menstrual period.” According to women currently experiencing menopause, it’s actually an evil and viscous trick by Mother Nature. One in which your body almost instantly becomes unrecognizable, as you spend the next several years fighting mood swings and hot flashes, while praying to God that the medication you’re taking to help convince your body it’s actually 33 again, doesn’t give you breast cancer.
As unpleasant as menopause is, it’s a fact of life that every woman will eventually have to deal with.
So the question is, is there a way to get through menopause and still feel ‘normal’? While the idea of, ‘normal’ may vary from woman to woman, a study published through Harvard Health, shared a few ideas around dealing with the symptoms of menopause that just might help you feel like your old self again.
Hot flashes: Although hot flashes can begin before menopause is in full swing, this horrible side-effect can last anywhere from 3-5 years. Symptoms include pink or flushed face, an elevated body temperature, moderate to extreme sweating, night sweats and sleep disturbances. While there is no sure way to rid yourself of hot flashes completely, the following approaches are suggested to help alleviate:
- Avoid triggers such as hot beverages, spicy foods, hot rooms, alcohol and stressful situations.
- Dress in layers. This allows you to remove clothing when you become overheated and put them back on once your body has cooled.
- Sleep with an ice pack under your pillow.
- Keep your bedroom a few degrees cooler with a fan or portable air conditioner.
- Reduce stress by doing yoga at night or performing 15 minutes of meditation before bed.
Queen Bee Biz’s take on this: We agree with what skinnymom.com is telling you to do. Along with that we have meditations available, plus other alternative solutions to deal with menopause. Click here for those solutions!
Mood Changes: Because the estrogen in your body is decreasing, the lining of you vagina becomes thin, creating less natural lubrication in the area. The increased dryness can not only be uncomfortable in day-to-day situations, leading to irritation and inflammation, it can also make sexual intercourse quite unpleasant. To treat vaginal dryness, the following is suggested.
- Use a vaginal lubricant regularly to treat dryness.
- Use a vaginal moisturizer such as Replens, to help keep dryness at bay.
- Use estrogen creams, rings and tablets, to stop dryness before it begins.
In addition to regular treatment, studies also suggest engaging in regular sexual stimulation to maintain vaginal health as well as elasticity. Queen Bee Biz’s take on this: I was excited to hear about this treatment.
Mood swings and depression: Due to the extreme shift in hormones, many women experience mood swings and depression. Try incorporating these habits to alleviate symptoms:
- Get regular sleep.
- Add exercise to your daily schedule; cardio and strength.
- Add yoga to alleviate stress.
- Incorporate herbal supplements such as St. John’s Wort to help give balance to mood swings.
- Request a mild antidepressant from your doctor to raise serotonin levels and alleviate depressed feelings.
Queen Bee Biz’s take on this: Exercise is crucial during this time of your life! Vicki and Cheri exercise regularly and definitely notice the difference when they don’t. Even if all you do is walk for 30 minutes a day, it will help you in the long run. We are NOT fond of antidepressants, because we feel you can “retrain your brain” by following our Closing the Happiness Gap program. Click here.
Weight Gain: While it seems as though weight gain is a lifelong issue for most women, fighting the, ‘middle aged spread,’ during menopause is almost inevitable. To help you get your sexy back, here are a few suggested tips:
Add or increase exercise to your daily schedule.
- Focus on cardio exercise; walking, running, swimming, to help prevent fat accumulation around the mid-section.
- Eat healthy. Avoid processed foods, excess refined carbohydrates and excessive amounts of caffeine and alcohol.
Dry skin and hair: No matter what our age, as women we always like to keep our hair and skin in check. However, a decline in estrogen often causes both hair and skin to become a bit dry and dull. To combat, try the following:
- Protect skin from the sun by using sun blocks, hats and protective clothing.
- Use moisturizer daily to hydrate skin.
- Use deep moisturizing conditioners regularly and avoid the overuse of heat styling.
- Use the newest oils, both for skin and hair, to restore gloss and radiance.
Queen Bee Biz’s take on this: Your food intake creates most of the results you receive. Cheri had a heart attack in 2012 and keeps her blood thin, cholesterol in a good range, and blood pressure under control with her food combinations and supplements. She does NOT take any drugs! It can be done. Eating mostly plant based and organic will provide your body with the proper nutrients it needs to function to the best of it’s ability.
There is no, ‘cure’ for menopause and certainly no way to stop it from coming, you can still live a normal and happy life.
You may feel as though Menopause is a viscous trick by Mother Nature, however, by incorporating some of these tips, you can, at the very least, give a shout out to Mother Nature letting her know that she hasn’t quite gotten the best of you yet!
Queen Bee Biz’s take on this: Vicki and Cheri are committed to support women before, during, and after menopause. Mother Nature is not playing a trick on you! It is part of life. We’ve created specific programs containing the tools and techniques you need to deal with menopause. Check them out by clicking here.
We would love to hear from you, please leave a comment in the comment section below!
CLICK HERE for your 5 Fear-Free Facts to Stop Being Frustrated with Your Midlife Body!
Cheri Hickman is the co-founder of Queen Bee Biz. As a life coach and emotional releasing expert, she along with her business partner, Vicki Kallman, support women over 40 to Bee Happy before during and after menopause. They take you from Grumpy to Happy in 60 seconds! Click here for 24/7 happiness.